Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sabtieh: Pictures of my family's neighborhood

I finally posted all my pictures of Sabtieh. This is a neighborhood where my mom grew up and where my grandparents still live. The signs pointing to Middle East College are at the top of the hill in Sabtieh and that is where my mom went to college. This is also the neighborhood where my parents got married. As you can probaly tell by the shrines, this is a Christian neighborhood. There are shrines to the Virgin Mary everywhere. They are along the roads and inside the entrances to apartment buildings. They are really beautiful and colorful. As you can also see, the neighborhood is made up of a variety of buildings. Some buildings are very old and are still marked by signs of war, but most buildings in this area have been rebuilt and still look brand new. The wildlife that grows in this country is amazing. You can see the beautiful flowers. There are no sidewalks in this neighborhood and the cars drive very crazily all over Lebanon so I have to pay very close attention when I go walking on these steep hills with all the bends in the road. Also, all over Lebanon, there are little stores called "dikenas". These are tiny little shops owned by a family with quick groceries. The cool thing is that everything can be found on this one road which makes up the center of the neighborhood. You can just walk across the street to buy fresh bread or vegetables. You don't have to drive "downtown".