Thursday, September 17, 2009

I also want to comment on the title of this blog. I named the blog after one of Lebanon's national forests, "The Cedars of God National Forest". The cedar tree is Lebanon's national symbol and it is also on the Lebanese flag. I also chose the name because the cedars are incredibly beautiful, really a national treasure, but they are in danger of becoming extinct in Lebanon. Also, Lebanon is a country with constant political problems which are often veiled and manipulated by religious rhetoric. This is a country that consists of people of many different religions but what really stands out to me is that everyone I meet, whatever their religion, has so much faith. I wish that around the world people could focus on that similarity rather than making rules to separate us from each other. When people argue and get so mean about religion and politics, I look to nature and really believe that it is the only thing we can truly say came from God. When I see the magnificent ancient cedars in the mountains of Lebanon, I know that they are "cedars of God". Salam!