Thursday, September 17, 2009

Marhaba! That means "hello" in Arabic. I fianlly figured out how to use this blog. When I logged on my blog was in Arabic which was a bit of a problem so I had to figure out how to change it back to a language that we can all understand. I had a long (12 hour) flight from Chicago to Jordan which was brutal and then a nice short flight from Jordan to Lebanon. My aunt Amal and my cousin Semer picked me up from the airport and I am staying with them for about a week because my semester doesn't start until the end of September. It has been great staying with m family. Amal only speaks to me in Arabic which is exactly what I need. I get pretty lost sometimes but I'm learning to just ask questions, A LOT of questions. It feels strange being here because on the one hand, I know that I belong because this is where my family is but at the same time, I can't speak Arabic fluently. Everyone expects me to understand everything they're saying and I just don't but it has only been A DAY and I've already learned so much from being forced to only use Arabic. I have realized that I know a lot more than I thought I did. I'm saying words that I didn't ven realize I knew but at the same time I am constantly reminded of how much I don't know. But we all need that in life in general so it's all good. I'm really happy and I truly feel like I'm in the right place for this point in my life. I am ready for a change and a challenge and I already know that that's what I'm in for.